Re: [exim] 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Chris Edwards wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
>
> | Nowadays, however, our campus firewall blocks outgoing port 25 coming
> | from any host that isn't a registered MTA, and the registered MTA
> | hosts don't allow ordinary users to log on to them, so the scenario of
> | needing to identify *users* who are abusing email in this way, doesn't
> | really happen nowadays in our situation, in the way it would have
> | done in the heyday of such multi-user systems.
>
> On-campus mail spoofing from multi-user systems ?

Well, yes, but the relevance of ident to that would be purely
on-campus, which is why (having thought about it for a moment ;-)
I decided not to mention the issue here.

If multi-user-system(0) spoofs mail to on-campus MTA(1) which in turn
pesters some external MTA(2), there isn't much that the admin of
MTA(2) is going to get out of an ident request, is there? As for
actions taken by the admin of MTA(1), you "have ways of" dealing with
on-campus abuses (evil smirk).

best