Re: [exim] strange log entries: no IP address found for host…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] strange log entries: no IP address found for host smtp05.host.com (during SMTP connection from NULL)
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Marc Sherman wrote:

> > Here's a repost with excerpts from today's exim_mainlog file, un-edited:
> > This entry is logged over 30,000 times per day in the exim_mainlog:
> > 2005-12-28 09:36:50 no IP address found for host
> > smtp05.dc2.safesecureweb.com (during SMTP connection from NULL)
>
> The NULL is perplexing to me; that's up to Philip to answer, I guess.
> Possibly an SMTP connection from localhost?

No, it's a bug. Finally rose to the top of my list. Fixed in the next
release - it should show the IP address. At least, I have fixed one
circumstance that could do that; let's hope it's the same as the one you
hit. It occurred if there was an error very early on in the connection,
typically as a result of host_lookup, and looking up the IP address gave
a host name that could not be looked up.

Philip