Re: [exim] STARTTLS before EHLO?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] STARTTLS before EHLO?
Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:50:00AM +0800, W B Hacker wrote:

*SNIP*

> I know, let's all advocate overriding sane client defaults in everything
> we reply to. I mean, that wouldn't be confusing for new posters or people
> asking questions, would it?

Given that most MUA's default to port 25 for submitting
outbound traffic, that 'sane client default' perhaps should be
overriden to use a submission port.

Check the long history behind 587, including
draft-hutzler-spamops-00.

The principle fly in the EHLO / STARTTLS ointment is the large
number of clients that may silently 'fall back' to un-encrypted,
mode - or even stroll over to port 25.

D'you suppose the mandated EHLO messages are visible in the MUA?
Let alone understandable to the average user??

Bill