Re: [exim] STARTTLS before EHLO?

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] STARTTLS before EHLO?
On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:50:00AM +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> Dean Brooks wrote:
>> Bill Hacker wrote:
>>> 'Legacy', perhaps, but not 'non-standard' w/r our use of
>>> those two ports.
>> Using it on 587 is non-standard
> The IANA registration has not specified port 587 for any
> particular protocol, smtp or otherwise:
>
> submission    587/tcp    Submission
> submission    587/udp    Submission

> By definition, a 'submission' port NOT being 'public facing',
> one should not expect any more detail than that any time soon.

[snip pointless justification of why W B Hacker is correct, and everyone else
in the world is wrong.]

I know, let's all advocate overriding sane client defaults in everything
we reply to. I mean, that wouldn't be confusing for new posters or people
asking questions, would it?

Bill, please stop acting like Greg A Woods (and his EHLO verification) over
this. It's boring for the rest of us who have to read your posts.

Cheers

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick          <mbm@???>           http://colondot.net/