Re: [exim] STARTTLS before EHLO?

Autor: Heiko Schlittermann
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] STARTTLS before EHLO?
Nigel Metheringham <nigel.metheringham@???> (Di 07 Feb 2006 12:20:54 CET):
> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 11:43 +0100, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > should exim support receiving a STARTTLS *before* receiving an EHLO?
>
> No.
>
> STARTTLS is a ESMTP feature. Exim starts in SMTP mode and only offers

> Just because other people do things wrong does not mean we have to too -
> if it did we would all have implemented the execute anything in passing
> email messages features!

Yes, I didn't ask for implementing this feature. I just had a
discussion with some postfix admin... and I'd like to point him to the
relevant phrases in some RFC.

> Anyhow it matters not what other servers do. What clients are so
> terminally brain dead and broken that they need or would benefit from
> breaking specifications in this way?

openssl s_client -- is brain dead enough :) For sure, it's no real
client, but somebody used it for testing.

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -