Re: [exim] STARTTLS before EHLO?

Autor: Heiko Schlittermann
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] STARTTLS before EHLO?
Jakob Hirsch <jh@???> (Di 07 Feb 2006 13:28:36 CET):
> Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
>
> > should exim support receiving a STARTTLS *before* receiving an EHLO?
>
> no.
> Well, it wouldn't hurt (just like allowing AUTH before EHLO), but why? No
> proper client would do it.

Hey - I didn't ask for implementing it. :)

> >     openssl s_client -connect ssl.schlittermann.de:25  -starttls smtp
> >       503 STARTTLS command used when not advertised..

> Which openssl version is this? 0.9.7f (on FC4) sends "EHLO some.host.name"
> before STARTTLS.

    OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004
    and
    OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005

both do not send 'EHLO'. (Debian)

> I'd say: A server is not required to enforce EHLO before using extensions,
> but it is also not required to allow them before he has announced them
> through an ESMTP response.
>
> Anyway, RFC 821 says: "The first command in a session must be the HELO

                                                        ~~~~

> command.", changed by RFC 1869, 4.1.1:
>
>    RFC 821 states that the first command in an SMTP session must be the
>    HELO command. This requirement is hereby amended to allow a session
>    to start with either EHLO or HELO.

... that's what I needed to know :) Thank you.

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -