Re: [exim] Is there a way to automatically resend email thro…

Autor: Adam Funk
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Is there a way to automatically resend email throughdifferent gateway?
On Sunday 05 February 2006 00:59, Stephen Gran wrote:

> I undeerstand your wishes, and I feel your pain.

Thanks.

> However, asking exim
> to do this will violate so many normative standards of mail handling I
> am just not sure it's a good idea. A 5xx is a permanent reject and
> should be considred so - I know that at the larger sites I admin, when
> I see a mail I have just 5xx'ed retried, I assume it is spam, and try
> to come up with a rule that will catch it as well.

The way I read that, you mean that if you reject a message I've tried to
route directly, you assume it's spam when you see it later coming through
a "smarthost". Is that right? Even though what you want is for us to
route through the smarthosts?

> I am sorry, but the
> wish to work around a permanent failure just seems like a bad idea. It
> is just so fundamental to the basic concepts of SMTP handling that I
> can't imagine the good outweighing the bad.

The problem that Daevid and I have had is that (1) our Exim bounces a
message because you (for example) reject it because we're on a blacklist;
(2) so we have to add that domain to the list of smarthosted destinations
-- which is what you want us to do, right? -- then resend the message.

The problem is that we discover (1) and carry out (2) at some indefinite
later time. All we want is the ability to configure Exim to do for us
automatically and promptly what we now have to do manually and later --
that certainly sounds like a job for a computer program to me.