Re: [exim] Is there a way to automatically resend email thro…

Autor: Stephen Gran
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Is there a way to automatically resend email throughdifferent gateway?
On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 01:39:45AM +0100, Stanislaw Halik said:
> Adam Funk <adam00f@???> wrote:
> > I propose for the wishlist a router option that would allow Exim to
> > pass on to the next router if the text accompanying a 5yz error
> > matches a specified regexp. This would provide the function that
> > Daevid and I (and others) have enquired about: trying to route mail
> > directly, but sending it through a manualroute if that is rejected
> > because of an RBL.
>
> if i can contribute to this wishlist item: it'd be nice if it'd be a
> fallback_hosts toggle, too. fallback_hosts just suits my needs, except
> that it fails before using fallback hosts if there is a permanent
> error.

I undeerstand your wishes, and I feel your pain. However, asking exim
to do this will violate so many normative standards of mail handling I
am just not sure it's a good idea. A 5xx is a permanent reject and
should be considred so - I know that at the larger sites I admin, when I
see a mail I have just 5xx'ed retried, I assume it is spam, and try to
come up with a rule that will catch it as well. I am sorry, but the
wish to work around a permanent failure just seems like a bad idea. It
is just so fundamental to the basic concepts of SMTP handling that I
can't imagine the good outweighing the bad.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Byte your tongue.                       |
|  steve@???             |                                         |