Re: [exim] AUTH over TLS only

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] AUTH over TLS only
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Marc Sherman wrote:

> Alan's error will never get sent, because if a client attempts to
> authenticate when AUTH is not advertised, Exim detects that as a
> protocol error, and it never gets to the ACL:

Thanks - I was thinking that might be the case, after reading Jakob
Hirsch's response on this thread.[1]

> > 250 HELP
> > AUTH LOGIN
> > 503 AUTH command used when not advertised

Well, just for the record, there's no sign of that response anywhere
in our archived logs either. So it seems we've been talking to a
community of remarkably well-behaved clients ;-))

best

[1] In mitigation, I might just mention that this ACL stanza was in
the configuration before I came on the scene - it isn't literally
"Alan's error". But OK, I take responsibility for posting it, anyway.