Re: [exim] Need to generate a "reject" message with correct …

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Need to generate a "reject" message with correct headers
Kenevel wrote:

> Marc Sherman wrote:
>
>>Can you please resend with a clear explanation of what
>>you are trying to achieve,
>

> I would like to take advantage of the VERP system of addressing to identify
> unavialable mailboxes, and capture any failure notifications in a local
> mailbox which, to be read by a different process (web-app). The premise is
> that a club manager can send an invitation email to his players, who can
> then use the autogenerated login details to use the site.
>
> There are two points to consider, though. Firstly, I do not want to have the
> emails appear to originate at a "real" mailbox to which addressees can
> reply. Support is available at other, monitored email addresses. However, I
> do need to know which invites simply failed to arrive.
>
> Marc suggested using VERP for this.
>

>>what message you're sending to attempt it and how you're sending it
>

> To test the set-up, I send an email to a non-existent mailbox at my
> webhosting domain which I know will be bounced. The test email originates on
> my laptop which authenticates and delivers to the (remote) Exim daemon.
>

>>(including any exim config you created in order to send it)

*trimmed*

Keneval:

Exim, probably more easily than any other MTA, *can* be made to
accomplish your goal.

But there are faster and easier solutions purpose-built for what
you need to accomplish at the end of the day, specifically
Mail List Managers (MLM).

Matters not if you have five users, or 5 hundred thousand.

These can run 'closed' or 'moderated' lists, allow/disallow
user / automatic / admin-only rules-based subscription,
auto-detect failed addresses, advise one or more administrative
folks, *make the info available to other 'designated' folks,
automatically put users on 'vacation' or delete them when
messages bounce, and do all manner of magic with headers -
including the 'apparent 'From:' and 'Reply to:' - even insert
preamble and footer information (or not) in the message body.

'Union Lists' (Ecartis' term) also allow you to decide if
members of one list may post to other 'affinity group'
lists- which seems ideal for a 'club' environment.

'Mailman' - used for this list, IRRC, and 'Ecartis' - my
personal preference, (MTA-agnostic, installed in
'user space', and managed 100% by secured e-mail AND/OR
a web interface) are worth a look.

Both are intended to be managed by the user groups with
minimal load on a sysadmin.

If you take care with the header configuration, there need
not be any apparent difference between a list and a personal
mail message. [1][2]

I believe you will find these much easier to 'drop in' than
to have Exim configured to do things MLM's already do more
easily with their particular toolsets.

HTH,

Bill Hacker

[1] In many jurisdictions it is a legal requirement that
each message carry information/method to 'remove' or
'unsubscribe' from the list. That would apply whether
an MLM is used or not, so a header, footer or both may be
mandatory anyway, depending on where you - and the
members - are located. An MTA should not be asked to
add footers, as the message type can interact badly
with the footer type.

[2] The Exim list usually has more lines of header
added than lines of message. ;-) CYA and backtrace?

You *can* do with just ONE line (the unsubscribe info),
or strip incoming headers, add zero, and all the
recipient need see is what the MTA's add as part of
the hand-offs.

Check the 'legals' for your environment.