Re: [exim] hotmail emails not reaching contacts

Author: xyon
To: Derrick MacPherson
CC: exim-users, Anne Clarke
Subject: Re: [exim] hotmail emails not reaching contacts
I believe the Hotmail/Yahoo issue (if you watch your firewall logs) is
due to them using an old method called IDENT. This has been done away
with on most intelligent setups these days, but of course Hotmail and
Yahoo are still using it.

Anyway, when your MTA connects to Hotmail/Yahoo, they respond with an
IDENT request on tcp/113.. of course most of us drop connections on any
port we don't use, so if they don't get a response, they drop your
message thinking you are someone bad. The recommended solution is to
configure your firewall to send a RST (or -j REJECT for iptables;)) on
incoming tcp/113. This should allow mail to go through, although Hotmail
(and Yahoo?) might put your mail in the recipient's junk folder until
they authorize you.

Anyone have any better solutions to this? When I contacted Hotmail
support they suggested I register as a 'Bonded' server. The $1000 (or
so) a year is just not worth it to me to keep my mail out of someone's
junk folder the first time I send them a message.