Re: [exim] Setup for authenticated submission

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Bill Hacker
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Setup for authenticated submission
Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
>

>>design of Internet protocols. LDAP, IMAP, SMTP, etc. etc -- it all
>>starts unencrypted and negotiates afterwards.
>

> Err, there's a $1s counterpart for every protocol you listed, and there
> are pop3s, imaps, nntps, https (which has no STARTTLS, TTBOMK).

ACK.

But in a manner of speaking an https (variant) can have comparable
behaviour.

ISTR that 'modern' http has a provision for specifying 'en clair' which
of several possible domains it seeks on a given IP, such that the server
can (among other things) offer up a matching cert - otherwise
historically a PITA for multi-domain servers on one IP.

'Old' AOLServer 'clusters' also did something similar via effectively
transparent routing a single external IP to multiple backend AOLServers
over unix sockets, & Squid *might* be able to do something similar if
breathed on heavily. Likewise Exim ...

Details escape me, as implementation was/is rare, and it goes against
the 'standards' vs simpler use of 'wildcard' or multi-domain certs;-)

Bill