Re: [exim] Maildir, mysql database, and creating home dirs

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Derrick MacPherson
CC: exim, Bill Hacker
Subject: Re: [exim] Maildir, mysql database, and creating home dirs

On 7 Jan 2006, at 04:31, Derrick MacPherson wrote:

> I understand why mail can get rejected, I know about recip
> verification etc. Off another system, very basic exim config, no
> sql. I created a test account called dlm - with home dir not
> created. I sent a test message, here's the log
>
> exigrep 1Ev4Jg-0006QF-3D /var/log/exim/mainlog
> +++ 1Ev4Jg-0006QF-3D not completed +++
> 2006-01-06 19:00:28 1Ev4Jg-0006QF-3D <= dmacpher@??? H=
> (mail.vfs.com) [x.x.x.x] P=esmtp S=2176 id=43BF2D6B.6050608@???
> 2006-01-06 19:00:29 1Ev4Jg-0006QF-3D == dlm@???
> R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (13): Permission denied: cannot
> create /home/dlm/Maildir
>
> The local_delivery transport:
>
> driver = appendfile
> directory = $home/Maildir
> delivery_date_add
> envelope_to_add
> return_path_add
> group = mail
> user = $local_part
> mode = 0660
> no_mode_fail_narrower
> maildir_format
> maildir_tag = ,S=$message_size
>
> I've never seen any of the unix systems I've worked on before
> create the home directories when there's incoming mail. I know FTP
> programs can create home directories, when you tell it to. Even
> after adding the create_directory option to the local_delivery it's
> still not creating the home directory. I create the home directory,
> and then it delivers.

this has nothing to do with

|create_directory     |  Use: appendfile  |  Type: boolean  |
Default: true|

that, as you can see, is true by default. Read the error again and
you will see that it is a permission issue.

> Is this a difference between sql related accounts and local account
> deliveries? I can drop the config on the web somewhere if someone
> would like to see it. Thanks.

No need. Before you were complaining because it created the home
directory, but it actually was only creating the Maildir (that is
possible, given the normal permissions in one's home dir). Now you
seem to complain that it does *not* create a home dir...