Re: [exim] Maildir, mysql database, and creating home dirs

Author: Derrick MacPherson
To: Bill Hacker
CC: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] Maildir, mysql database, and creating home dirs
Bill Hacker wrote:
> As stated - the default 'Unix' behaviour.
>
> The 'clue' is the sort of dir's being created, and where.
>
> (presuming, of course, that your MySQL code would have put them elsewhere).
>
> Whether traffic is rejected or not depends on *many* things, starting
> with whether
> you require recipient verification (Exim queries the routers), use an
> SQL test, both, or neither.
>
> - And if traffic is *not* rejected, Exim will create the storage from
> either your SQL code or the Unix default.

I understand why mail can get rejected, I know about recip verification
etc. Off another system, very basic exim config, no sql. I created a
test account called dlm - with home dir not created. I sent a test
message, here's the log

exigrep 1Ev4Jg-0006QF-3D /var/log/exim/mainlog
+++ 1Ev4Jg-0006QF-3D not completed +++
2006-01-06 19:00:28 1Ev4Jg-0006QF-3D <= dmacpher@???
H=(mail.vfs.com) [x.x.x.x] P=esmtp S=2176 id=43BF2D6B.6050608@???
2006-01-06 19:00:29 1Ev4Jg-0006QF-3D == dlm@??? R=localuser
T=local_delivery defer (13): Permission denied: cannot create
/home/dlm/Maildir

The local_delivery transport:

driver = appendfile

directory = $home/Maildir
delivery_date_add

envelope_to_add

return_path_add

group = mail

user = $local_part

mode = 0660

no_mode_fail_narrower

maildir_format

maildir_tag = ,S=$message_size

I've never seen any of the unix systems I've worked on before create the
home directories when there's incoming mail. I know FTP programs can
create home directories, when you tell it to. Even after adding the
create_directory option to the local_delivery it's still not creating
the home directory. I create the home directory, and then it delivers.

Is this a difference between sql related accounts and local account
deliveries? I can drop the config on the web somewhere if someone would
like to see it. Thanks.