RE: [exim] Examples of good HTML documentation

Autor: Herb Martin
A: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [exim] Examples of good HTML documentation
> I am giving some thought on the best way to arrange the HTML
> documentation for exim - not so much the content rather the
> presentation.
>
> As part of this I would appreciate it if people could look at
> http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/HtmlDocumentationAppearence
> and contribute links to examples of well formatted, easily navigable
> HTML documentation, along with short comments as to what
> makes them good.

My thoughts (but only since you asked):

Strongly recommend near plain headers and text with CSS
to format and style it.

The idea is to use H1-Hx and perhaps some semantic
tags if necessary.

Short sections are Ok as long as the site is well-index
or indexable by Google. (If hidden in some databases
then this doesn't work well.)

Long pages are best when the site is not well-indexed
since you get on the "approximate page" and just search.

Ideally, there is an eseasily downloadable version so
that it can be kept local.

Appearance is NOT NEARLY as important as availability
and search capability.

And of course, every time it is changed the old
book marks get invalidated (in most cases) which
is far more irritating than any appearance improvements
can justify.

--
Herb Martin