Re: [exim] MIME errors and MIME ACL

Autor: Mark Edwards
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] MIME errors and MIME ACL
> Mark Edwards schrieb:
>
> I have implemented the new acl_smtp_mime checks recommended on this
> list recently, as a replacement for the deprecated demime
> condition. I took my configuration from:
> http://www.wlug.org.nz/EximMailFilter
>
> I'm having trouble with the line length check, which I have as
> follows:
>
>   deny
>         regex       = ^.{131071}
> message = MIME error: Line length in message or single header
> exceeds 131071.
>         log_message = DENY: MIME Error (Maximum line length exceeded)

> That yields the following non-catastrophic error for any email with
> mime parts:
>
> 2006-01-03 13:31:05 1EttkG-000OZe-LD regex acl condition warning -
> error in regex '^.{131071}': number too big in {} quantifier at
> offset 9, skipped.
>
> Can someone tell me what the proper way to do this is? I'm using
> exim 4.6 on FreeBSD, from ports.
>
> That's easy, just choose a smaller number :) IMHO, the number in
> the example is ridiculuously too big. I read it as not wanting to
> limit line lengths - but then you could just remove the acl stanza.
> RFC 2822 limits line lengths to 1000 chars. Some HTML mail violate
> this limit. Choose whatever limit you want to tolerate.
> HTH,
> Patrick Eisenacher

Well, I think that number was chosen in the configuration to mimic
what the deprecated demime condition did, which was apparently to
reject line lengths of greater than 131071 bytes.

I just want to achieve the best functionality, which means rejecting
garbage and not harming my users. So, is the case that the old
demime condition functionality was effectively useless, and that I
should either choose a harsher limit that might have collateral
damage, or just disable this check?

Or, alternately, is this in fact a deficiency in the new
acl_smtp_mime functionality?

Thanks!

--
Mark Edwards