Re: [exim] Bounce Control - Redux

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Bounce Control - Redux
On 1/3/06 10:05 AM, "Russell Wilton" <wilton@???> wrote:

> I am running Exim 4.52 on RedHat Enterprise Linux.
>
> We reject incoming email to invalid recipients, but if the recipient is
> just having a temporary error such as being over quota, we accept the
> email and try to deliver it. After the retry process is exhausted,
> however, I would like to be able to control whether a bounce message is
> generated or the email is just flushed, based on headers in the email.
> Is this possible? I've read the manual sections on retries and bounces,
> but I don't see anything on how to turn off bounce generation for a
> particular email. Any suggestions or pointers gratefully accepted.
> Thanks.

I didn't reply before because I don't know how to do the job you want done
(the $message_age variable might be helpful used in a system filter, I
suppose). But I also do not know it can't be done.

Another approach to the task is to hand it back to the sending server (or
spam/virus engine) by deferring rather than accepting. The current
spam/virus engines on infected machines don't bother retrying--the real
servers will apply their own rules as to when to bounce.

However, some old versions of GroupWise will immediately bounce; Yahoo
Groups will take the group member off email delivery, and there are some
other problems. So this solution isn't perfect. [Given all the broken
servers in the world, there are no perfect email solutions.] As you develop
your list of these exceptions, you can accept mail from them knowing that
you later want to bounce it.

--John