Re: [exim] strange log entries: no IP address found for host…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] strange log entries: no IP address found for hostsmtp05.host.com (during SMTP connection from NULL)
Bill wrote:

> Thanks Marc, you've made a valid point. I've not seen that exim
> "wiki" link before.

While you're there, please read two points further down, to "Keep List
Relevant Stuff On List and Other Stuff Off". I have Reply-To set to the
list, so please don't CC my address.

> Here's a repost with excerpts from today's exim_mainlog file, un-edited:
> This entry is logged over 30,000 times per day in the exim_mainlog:
> 2005-12-28 09:36:50 no IP address found for host
> smtp05.dc2.safesecureweb.com (during SMTP connection from NULL)

The NULL is perplexing to me; that's up to Philip to answer, I guess.
Possibly an SMTP connection from localhost?

> Entries such as these are logged 300-400 times per day:
> 2005-12-28 16:51:08 no IP address found for host
> smtp05.dc2.safesecureweb.com (during SMTP connection from
> (81.161.250.78) [81.161.250.78])

The rest, on the other hand, is specifically because the host name
you've given (smtp05.dc2.safesecureweb.com) does not resolve in the DNS.
That name probably appears in your configs in a hostlist somewhere,
which cannot be properly initialized:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.60/doc/html/spec.html/ch10.html#SECTbehipnot

Using IPs in the config as Giuliano suggested is just a workaround. The
real solution is for you to fix your DNS problem.

- Marc