Re: [exim] exim4 - 550 relay not permitted

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
CC: Dennis Skinner, bf
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 - 550 relay not permitted
Dennis Skinner wrote:
> Bernhard Finkbeiner wrote:
>

>> 2005-12-08 21:43:42 1EkSc7-0001h1-24 ** bf@??? R=smarthost
>> T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
>> TO:<bf@???>: host <IP-Address> [<IP-Address>]: 550 relay not
>> permitted
>
> That message is not from the relay server (smarthost), it is from Exim.
> Neither the sender nor the reciepient is someone that Exim handles
> locally, so it thinks (correctly) that you are trying to relay though it.

I believe you are mistaken. "R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP
error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:" indicates that his Exim routed
the message using the smarthost router, but that the remote host
rejected him. If it were his own Exim that rejected the address, you
would see a different line (without a message ID and status symbol
("**")) in the log (unless Exim accepted the message but later refused
to deliver it, which would be highly unusual and very wrong).

--
Magnus Holmgren