Re: [exim] Problem with smtp authentication

Autor: Alan J. Flavell
A: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Problem with smtp authentication
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 09:53:35AM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> >> SMTP<< 250 2.1.0 usrname_on_mail_server@???....Sender OK
> >> SMTP<< 250 2.1.5 dest@???
> >> SMTP<< 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
> >> SMTP<< 454 5.7.3 Client does not have permission to Send As this sender.
> > Note that this temp rejects after data.

The original question said:
___
/
SMTP<< 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful.
SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<root@Latrell> SIZE=1350 AUTH=root@Latrell
SMTP>> RCPT TO:<latrell@???>
SMTP>> DATA

SMTP<< 454 5.7.3 Client does not have permission to Send As this sender.
SMTP>> QUIT

\___

> Note also that these are not Exim error messages, as exim doesn't
> use extended status codes.

The use of a status of 4xx in conjunction with an extended status of
5.something seems to be absurd, no?

> This is a problem with what you're sending in the MAIL FROM:<> SMTP
> command, and is dependent on the site policy of the system you are
> connecting to.

The original question appeared to be trying to use an unqualified
domain in their envelope sender - doesn't look good to me.

> Before continuing, you'd do better to find out what
> this site policy is...

Fair comment, but I can't believe that applying one's normal retry
strategy in response to the 4xx status is going to be useful. As
such, I'd tend to rate this response as a rogue. The status they
returned *should* have been 5xx, in my view.

cheers