Re: [exim] AUTH over TLS only

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] AUTH over TLS only

On 1 Dec 2005, at 15:00, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Probably. The depth of brokenness of some MUAs has to be seen to be
> believed. I was recently asked for a workaround for a client that was
> using tls-on-connect, then sending HELO (not EHLO), and then trying to
> do AUTH.

An Oracle application (I think provided by Oracle, or a third party
vendor) ignored 5xx errors and tried every second to send an email,
until an administrator removed it from Oracle's queue.

There was a version of Thunderbird which retried authentication up to
seven hundred times per second (yes, you read that right: "seven
hundred times per second"!) in some configurations - trying to
authenticate against our server without encryption. It only stopped
when the user cancelled the attempt to send mail.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster,