[exim] Potential logic error in retry handling for IPv4+IPv6…

Autor: Florian Weimer
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Potential logic error in retry handling for IPv4+IPv6 hosts
I'm currently facing a mail delivery problem. The sending MTA is Exim
4.50. The host has no real IPv6 connectivity, but a working IPv6
stack, and the DNS resolver returns AAAA records.

Mail to domains which are handled by MX hosts which have both an A and
AAAA record bounces sporadically with the error message "retry time
not reached for any host after a long failure period". The
interesting thing is that the bounce itself gets through, after
delivery of the original message has failed. "exim -bt" shows that
Exim gives indeed priority to the AAAA record.

Does this problem sound familiar?

I don't have sufficient permissions to check the retry database or the
Exim logs, I'm afraid. (The problem may not be related to IPv6 at
all, maybe it's just a corrupt retry database.)