Re: [exim] 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA

Autor: Magnus Holmgren
A: exim-users
CC: Markus Braun
Assumpte: Re: [exim] 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA
Markus Braun wrote:
> I type:
> exim4 -bt oliver@???
>
> This is the result.
> oliver@??? -> /var/opt/vmail/XXX.info/oliver/Maildir
> transport = virtual_delivery

Apparently delivering mail *to* accounts on your server works.

> In the exim4 mainlog file is something like this:
>
> 2005-11-29 23:16:55 H=e181115152.adsl.alicedsl.de (mx) [85.181.115.152]
> F=<oliver@???> rejected RCPT <charmed21muc@???>: relay not
> permitted

Is that you trying to send mail directly from your mail program via your
server to your Hotmail address? Seems that you failed to authenticate or
that the ACL doesn't recognise that you did authenticate.

What caused the bounce in your original post in this thread? *How* did
you send the mail that bounced (what software on which computer), what
and whose server took care of it first, and which email address did you
send it to?

Maybe it's time to straighten out some things things once and for all. I
haven't quite grasped your network layout yet. I guess that you are on
an ADSL connection and your ISP blocks outgoing traffic on port 25. But
is your server on the same LAN as your workstation or even the same
computer? Are there any other computers involved? A comprehensive list
of machines and how they are connected, as well as a little less
obfuscation, would help.

> 2005-11-29 23:55:44 1EhDyJ-0001GW-AG mx1.hotmail.com [65.54.252.99]:
> Connection refused

The last log line indicates, in addition to your other problems, that
you need to configure Exim to send remote mail through a smarthost.

--
Magnus Holmgren