RE: [exim] FW: Undeliverable Mail

Autor: Alan J. Flavell
A: Robert Cates
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [exim] FW: Undeliverable Mail

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Robert Cates wrote:

> So viruses are hitting Linux machines!?

*You* certainly sent part of one to ours - but our mailer intercepted
it before it could reach the list subscribers.

Please, don't attach virus material to your mailing list postings: I
can't speak for the list administrator, but this isn't a virus
discussion list, and I, for one, don't really want to get problematic
attachments from it.

> What's a really good (free) anti-virus solution?

The only real solution is "practice safe email procedures". This
particular outbreak has shown (if it hadn't been obvious before[1]),
that new virus variants can be churned out faster than anti-virus
templates.

But, as a back-stop, and to catch those of our users who insist on
behaving unsafely, we use clamav on the mailer, and Sophos (campus
licence) on client systems.

It's also useful to have something like TimJ's anti-antivirus
templates, see http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/sa.php ->
http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/bogus-virus-warnings.cf
to reject bogus virus warnings.

have fun

[1] I've been saying this for some years already, but have often been
told there's nothing to worry about, the anti-virus companies have the
problem under control. Well, when the viruses have been arriving (and
fortunately intercepted as potentially dangerous attachments) for 4-6
hours before the matching antivirus templates arrive, I'm afraid I
have to say I can't agree.