Re: [exim] Newbie: Treat a single local domain as external

Autor: Magnus Holmgren
A: Julian Baker (Flat Earth Communications)
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Newbie: Treat a single local domain as external
Julian Baker (Flat Earth Communications) wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Not sure that I'm using the right 'exim' langauge to describe my issue
> but here goes...
>
> I'm running several virtual domains on an apache web server for my
> clients with exim
> handling the domain mail.
>
> Normally everything is sweet, I just create a smtp alias file for each
> virtual domain and
> forward domain to pop accounts, and list my server as the MX records
> for the virtual
> domain.
>
> I now have a problem: only one of these domains has it's mx handled by
> another ISP, so in
> the zone file I have the correct mail server listed. However when I
> send mail (I also use this
> server as my authenicated smtp server for my domain) it sees the
> message as being local
> and therefore wants a smtp alias file with a pop address in it.

Don't add the domain in question to local_domains but to relay_domains
(if you use such domain lists to decide which domains to handle locally
and which to pass on to another MX).

Or check out the require_files option in chapter 15 of the
specification. You can use it to have Exim only look for alias files
that acually exists, and pass on any other domain to the subsequent
routers. That way you don't need any local_domains domain list - instead
the existence of an alias file tells Exim that a domain is local - but
you have to place that router before the remote ones.

--
Magnus Holmgren