[exim] returning mail to sender immediately when recipient a…

Autor: Simon Hogg
A: exim users
Assumpte: [exim] returning mail to sender immediately when recipient address is invalid
Morning, I'm sure the answer to this is obvious, but have found nothing
that would appear to be directly relevant in the FAQ.

What I've noticed is that when a mail is sent and the recipient address
(not local btw) is invalid eg. shad@shador@??? ,
SARAH.KATHARINE'VIRGIN.NET, FIAWOLS-PLACE.FREEGE-IE.CO.UK,
ian@coup;andclan.freeserve.co.uk, it gets placed in the queue.

In the queue it says "Deferred: 451 Temporary local problem - please try
later"

What should happen is that mail to what is clearly an invalid address,
should either not be accepted as part of the SMTP dialogue from the
client, or if it is, it should then be returned to the sender.

What I thought may do the trick is something like this:

notlocal:
    driver = dnslookup
    domains = ! +local_domains
    transport = remote_smtp
    verify = recipient
    notify = postmaster

However, that I feel is not quite correct as such a rulest is to check
for a valid (in terms of DNS) host.

or

notlocal:
    driver = dnslookup
    domains = ! +local_domains
    transport = remote_smtp
    fail_verify
    notify = postmaster

However, I also feel that is incorrect as it could bounce mail back if a
DNS lookup happens to fail, rather than queue it up for a retry (which
is what happens).

or

accept  domains       = !+local_domains
         verify        = recipient

But that seems too simple.

However, in the config file, there is this:

deny    message       = Restricted characters in address
           domains       = !+local_domains
           local_parts   = ^[./|] : ^.*[@%!] : ^.*/\\.\\./

Which I would expect to catch addresses as quoted in the examples above,
well some of them anyway.

I'm sure its really obvious, if there is something in the FAQ or
then let me know.

Thanks

Simon

--
Simon Hogg, Learning Resources, Oxford Brookes University,
Headington, Oxford, OX3 0BP, UK.

Postmaster & Academic Computing Officer.

Email: simon.hogg@???

Tel. : (+44) 01865 483314
Fax. : (+44) 01865 483073