Re: [exim] Time delay on greeting

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: Paulo Andre
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Time delay on greeting
On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 16:07 +0200, Paulo Andre wrote:
> I have a exim 4.3 server that when it receives a connection from a
> computer outside its IP range the 'greeting' takes about 30s to appear,
> but as soon as I NAT those IP's to an address on the email servers range
> then the 'greeting' gets sent immediately.
>
> Is this standard or have a configured something incorrectly?

There are 2 possible reasons for this:-

The most likely is that you have rfc1413 ident lookups being done, but
the protocol is being blocked by the remote host and/or your firewall.
Try setting rfc1413_query_timeout to zero
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_14.html#IX1383

Other possibility is that you are doing reverse DNS lookups and you are
unable to reverse map that address.

    Nigel.