Re: [exim] Setting up Exim for Multiple Clients

Página Inicial
Autor: Jason Meers
Para: Mike Jones
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [exim] Setting up Exim for Multiple Clients
Mike Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to configuring exim, and I've been asked
> to set up our mail server for an external client to use as we will be
> hosting their website on our webservers.
>

> Its never been used for users to log into so they can send and receive
> emails. (Basically its just been used to send out newsletters and to receive

Your exim configuration is probably not allowing connections form
"external" users (this is usually a good thing if external means *anyone*)

We need to know which range of IP addresses are going to be allowed to
use this server from a _remote_ connection.

> However when I tried to log in to one of the accounts from Outlook, it
> basically refused. Sending also refused.

Please show us an error message, an outlook error message is OK but SMTP
specific ones like ERROR 550 RELAY DENIED would be of more use to us.

Your "begin acl" section would also be useful to see.

Also look for errors in your logs which will usually be located under:

/var/spool/exim/ or /var/log/exim

Under linux "ssh" and "scp" will help you look at and copy logs

Under windows "putty" and "winscp" are your alternatives.

I work in Manchester, but I'm on holiday at present, however if you are
still having trouble next week I can call in to your office.

last thing, a paper I wrote in February for the Exim Conference covers
some of the things your asking about using trusted networks in the acl
section, along with some basic smtp troubleshooting advice:

http://www.uit.co.uk/exim-conference/full-papers/jason-meers.pdf

Thanks

Jason Meers