Re: [exim] bounced messages

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] bounced messages
Shea, please trim your quotes.

Shea Martin wrote:

> Sorry for log obfuscation. I believe that I have the one of the reasons
> my email address recieves spam, is that I have used the email address
> (exposed) on mailing lists and newsgroups in the past.

As the wiki page I linked to says, you can obfuscate your _local_part_
if you feel the need to, but nothing else. However, most people agree
that it's a fools game to try to keep your email address private in an
attempt to avoid spam harvesters.

Here, just you so don't think I'm just picking on you:
msherman@??? msherman@??? msherman@???
:)

> Here is the log (/var/spool/exim/msglog/1EbsYw-00017B-RP) without
> obfuscation

Ah, that's why it was in a strange format -- that's the internal msglog
from the spool, not the exim mainlog file. We usually see the mainlog
file format on this list, and that's what most people will expect. In
the default build, that will be at /var/log/exim_mainlog; on debian,
it's at /var/log/exim4/mainlog.

Exigrep can be quite useful to select relevant lines from the mainlog.

> I am pretty green at this mail server stuff. It is a bit overwhelming.
> My guess is that maybe my server has been black listed? So I am
> attempting to 'harden' the mail server, in hopes of getting off.

Your connections to hotmail are consistently timing out. Are you
running your server on a residential DSL line? My guess is that your
ISP is blocking outgoing port 25. I stopped using Sympatico years ago
when they abruptly started blocking _incoming_ port 25, without warning;
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've started blocking outgoing 25
as well, which is actually a much saner thing to do for residential DSL
service. If that's the case, you'll have to submit messages via your
ISP's smarthost.

- Marc