Re: [exim] Seeking advice how to deal with spam faked to app…

Autor: Alan J. Flavell
A: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Seeking advice how to deal with spam faked to appear as coming from my domain
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Cliff Pratt wrote:

> On 11/14/05, Aaron Stromas <ams@???> wrote:
>
> > Some S.O.B. is sending spam faking the sender to be from my domain,
> > izoard.com <http://izoard.com>, so the postmaster get all that mail
> > bounced by spam filters
> > (see below). Is there anything I can do about it?

[...]

> No, there is nothing that you can really do about it.

I don't know about that. If I was on the receiving end of such stuff,
and there wasn't *too* much of it, I think I would configure our
spamassassin to rate the rejection reports as spam and reject them.

If the situation was too bad for that (as it has sometimes been for
antivirus rejection reports when the virus was faking our domain as
sender) then I'd blacklist the envelope sender address of the reports,
to avoid putting too much load on our spamassassin.

> The messages are sent by mail servers set up to bounce SPAM emails
> to the purported sender, which, as you have seen, results in you
> getting bombarded with invalid SPAM reports.

I'd rate that as a clear case of email abuse, as meaasured against
current good-practice.

best regards