Re: [exim] Recipient verify callout errors from one sender

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Recipient verify callout errors from one sender
Mike Jones wrote:

> Eventually (after a day or so) he gets the following error:
>

> 451-Could not complete recipient verify callout for <<<
> 451-mike.jones@???
>

> I can find no record of any mail that he has attempted to send to us in our
> maillog or rejectlog.

How's he getting that error? If it's embedded in a bounce message,
chances are very good that whatever server originated the bounce is also
the one that's doing the (failing) callouts.

My guess is that it's originating from his own smarthost, which means
that his smarthost is doing recipient verify callouts to your address,
and you're rejecting them. Doing a recipient verify callout to a remote
site for a message you've already accepted seems like a very silly waste
of resources, but whatever...

Assuming that you're not doing something stupid like blocking mail from
<>, it's probably a non-standard callout being done, like with a random
sender or something. Find out as much info as you can about his
smarthost (ip, hostname, helo string), and grep your logs for those --
that should give you more info.

- Marc