RE: [exim] Can I bounce a user's emails on purpose

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: theal
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [exim] Can I bounce a user's emails on purpose
On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 11:43 -0500, Tony Heal wrote:
> My boss wants the emails to bounce. But as a workaround does anyone know how
> to create an auto reply that will send a specific message? I'm pretty new to
> this so I need the filename and syntax if this is possible.

> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 04:11:06PM -0500, Tony Heal wrote:
> > I am trying to maintain a user on my debian woody server running exim
> > 3.35, but I don't want any more emails to that account. Is there any
> > way to intensionally bounce all emails to that user?

[Standard comments regarding Exim 3 - no one doing serious work uses it
any more, and I can't remember much about it - see
http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/Exim3Status
http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/DebianExim3
]

Look in your configuration file for an aliasfile director (no idea what
this is called for a debian generated config) to check where your alias
file is located (my best guess - /etc/aliases) and to check the
forbid_special option is not set.

Then edit your aliases file and add a line:-
    fred: :fail:Run away and is never coming back

"fred" should be the user you are dealing with. The part after :fail:
is what you want to be put into the SMTP failure message. Make sure you
supply enough colons :-)

You should be aware that whatever you put in this message, people will
ignore it, misinterpret it or their MTA will do that for them
(especially exchange).

    Nigel.