Re: [exim] Replacing subject header when spam scanning: new …

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Replacing subject header when spam scanning: new idea& FAQ suggestion
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:41:18 +0100
Jakob Hirsch <jh@???> wrote:

> Tim Jackson wrote:

> > IN APPROPRIATE ROUTERn:
> > headers_remove = Subject
>
> I used something similar for a while, but I don't see what's better
> about it.

The original point was that some rubbish MUAs can't filter on arbitrary
headers (e.g. X-Spam-Whatever), so Subject munging is necessary,
whereas you only seem to be adding X-Spam-* headers.

(Oh well, at least with my new method that allows per-recipient
selection of preferences, it's the users' own fault if they end up with
FP spams forever labelled in their mailboxes with munged Subjects).

> And it goes wrong if there's a X-Spam-Flag header by somebody else.

This is a fair point, although to be honest if someone else wants to
label their mails as spam (noting that I only take action if it's
"YES") then that's sort-of their problem and I'm not going to worry
overly about following their instructions :)

> It's better to rely on Exim's inband information (like $acl_m? or
> $spam_*), not something that could be set arbitrarily.

Good thinking. Notwithstanding the above slightly flippant comment, not
trusting user-supplied data is definitely a Good Thing in general.

> I'm not sure right now, but I think you can also use the $spam_*
> variables in your router. (Too bad they are not set in filters....)

Ah yes. I see from the spec that $spam_score_int is saved in the spool
file and so can be accessed by routers. Very handy, and saves using an
ACL variable.

Tim