Re: [exim] Spam block idea:

Autor: Ian FREISLICH
A: sbotsford
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Spam block idea:
Sherwood Botsford wrote:

> A fair percentage of the spam to here comes with multiple recipients,
> some of which haven't been here for several years.
>
> Consider the following:
>
> Suppose that I embedded a few score false addresses in our website in
> such a way that they either were not visible or so that they said right
> beside them: This address is a distractor for spam blocking purposes.

What you're describing here is a spam trap or honeypot.

What makes more sense to do what a lot of people do: use these
addresses to feed your own RBL (set a life time for each entry).
The statistics at my site are definitely towards one recipient per
per spam message. And when your spam tends to that, your system
will still work. The potential pit falls are that a mail relayed
by a large ISP that falls into the trap can blacklist that ISP. If
this is for your home, you might not care about that however if
you're an ISP or other institution you should proceed with care.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich