Re: [exim] Moving mail spool for a certain domain

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Moving mail spool for a certain domain
Doug wrote:

> Is there a way to move a spool (sub-spool?) for a certain domain to a
> temporary location while a problem exists at the destination server? I can't
> shake the feeling that having 10,000 emails queueing for a domain is gonna
> have a detrimental effect on the operation of the server.
>
> Obviously re-adding these emails back into the main spool is also required
> once the temporary problems have been resolved.
>
> I've had a dig around and can't find anything this specific so any

Check out BSMTP:
http://exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_44.html#SECT44.11
http://exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_44.html#SECT44.12

What you want to do is create a special router for outgoing mail to the
busted domain, that routes to a BSMTP appendfile transport to stick the
mail in a file. You'll probably need to do an "exim -qf" run to flush
out the deferred messages with long retry times in the queue.

Once the bad domain is fixed, remove (or disable) the router, and use
exim -bS to reinject the BSMTP file into the queue.

- Marc