Re: [exim] Adding missing Message-Id header for Outlook 2003…

Autor: David Woodhouse
A: matt
CC: exim-users
Assumptes nous: RE: [exim] Adding missing Message-Id header for Outlook 2003(AUTHENTICATED) users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Adding missing Message-Id header for Outlook 2003 (AUTHENTICATED) users
On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 08:48 -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:
> Is there any way I can reliably add a Message-Id header to outgoing mails
> (my Outlook -> my Exim [HERE]-> internet relays) for Outlook 2003
> "compatibility"?
>
> I can generate any crap to insert into the header but I think Message-Id
> needs to be unique in a way that I cannot work out how to generate it.
> I've just been fighting with broken References and In-Reply-To mails in
> a message forum so I would like to do it properly and not cause myself
> more problems in the future by generating non-unique Ids.
>
> I guess what I need is.. some extra-long including-microseconds time
> stamp that I can attain from in the Exim config file, base64 encode it
> or something for simple obfuscation, which I can then prepend to the
> hostname of the sending machine?

Exim will use its own internal message-id (prepended to the hostname) if
you use 'control=submission'. See the 'control' modifier
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_39.html#IX2464
and also the 'message_id_header_text' and 'message_id_header_domain'
options.

My config predates that option so still does it the old way:

  warn  hosts = +relay_hosts
        condition = ${if !def:h_Message-ID: {1}}
        message = Message-ID: <E$message_id@$primary_hostname>
  warn  hosts = +relay_hosts
        condition = ${if !def:h_Date: {1}}
        message = Date: $tod_full