Re: [exim] My IP in smtp transport?

Autor: Wakko Warner
A: Jakob Hirsch
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] My IP in smtp transport?
This is also directed to Phil as well. I read the responses and I feel this
message would suffice to respond to all of them

Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Wakko Warner wrote:
> > I have looked through the expansion variables and I can't figure out how
> > retrieve the IP that my host is using to connect to another host. I'm doing
>
> That's because Exim probably doesn't know itself. Client connections
> usually don't care about this, as long as you dont enforce it with
> bind(). To get the address, one could use getsockname() (maybe, I didn't
> test), unless you use things like source routing (may be system
> dependent, though).

I had thought about this but I was not sure if it could be done.

I had thought about using -D and interfaces = to set the address.

Phil asked if the dnsdb lookup worked for me. In my original message I had:
helo_data = ${lookup dnsdb{ptr=$interface_address}}

In the transport. The result was blank as I stated was no surprise. I
first used exim -be to test how the lookup returns data since I'd never used
it until today.

> Nobody seemed to want this before, so Exim seems not to have it. Maybe
> you could convince Phil to add it to the wishlist. Shouldn't be too hard
> to implement.

Not many people have a bunch of addresses (a /25 in my case) to a system and
want the HELO set depending on the address used. I've never needed it. I
can still get around it, but I have to edit the config every time (it's
small, all it does is 1 dns lookup router, and 1 smtp router and I specify
it on the command line every time I want to send out mail on that system.
So a -D might not be so bad)

If Phil feels this is a wishlist request, that's ok, however I'm not going
to come out and ask that this be wishlisted as it's not a big deal to me.
Just one of those things were I wasn't quite sure if it could be done.

I am fairly good with exim except in the rare cases (and rare configurations
too) I do something like this. I have gained much knowledge from this list
in configurations in the past.

> > Please keep politics out of this, I know why I want this (and it's not used
>
> Politics? Never! :)

I've been on the list long enough to know if I had just asked for this,
someone would have said I didn't need it. I didn't want to waste their time
telling me what I know they would have told me =)

As for the machine, I really don't care about RFCs nor if the /25 gets
blacklisted by every list on the planet. It'll never send mail unless I
specifically (and as root) do it. Some zombies in china and korea love to
bang on it but gives up (If you want details, ask me, it may or may not be
on topic here)

Got Gas???