Re: [exim] My IP in smtp transport?

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Wakko Warner
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] My IP in smtp transport?
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, Wakko Warner wrote:

> I have looked through the expansion variables and I can't figure out how
> retrieve the IP that my host is using to connect to another host. I'm doing
> this so it can set the helo data in the smtp transport.
>
> I tried this:
> smtp:
>         driver = smtp
>         helo_data = ${lookup dnsdb{ptr=$interface_address}}

> Unfortunately that variable is unset.

$interface_address
    When a message is received over a TCP/IP connection, this variable contains
    the address of the local IP interface. See also the -oMi command line
    option. This variable can be used in ACLs and also, for example, to make
    the file name for a TLS certificate depend on which interface is being
    used.

$host_address
    This variable is set to the remote host's IP address whenever $host is set
    for a remote connection. It is also set to the IP address that is being
    checked when the ignore_target_hosts option is being processed.

$host
    When the smtp transport is expanding its options for encryption using TLS,
    $host contains the name of the host to which it is connected. Likewise,
    when used in the client part of an authenticator configuration (see chapter
    33), $host contains the name of the server to which the client is
    connected.

    When used in a transport filter (see chapter 24) $host refers to the host
    involved in the current connection. When a local transport is run as a
    result of a router that sets up a host list, $host contains the name of the
    first host.