Re: [exim] How complete is 'completed'?

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How complete is 'completed'?
On 10/6/05 5:27 PM, "Doug Jolley" <d2jcell@???> wrote:

> An Exim server acts as a mail exchanger for the
> betsythompson.com domain. Mail addressed to that
> domain is forwarded to the betsy-thompson mailbox
> at sbcglobal.net The log file shows the incoming
> mail, the forward, and the completion. (Actual
> lines from the log file are appended.) The
> forwarded mail never shows up in the mailbox
> although other mail addressed to
> betsy-thompson@??? does. I'm inclined
> to think that the only way that can happen is
> that, after having been accepted for delivery,
> the mail is subsequently not delivered to the
> mailbox for some reason such as a filter rule.
> My question is: How safe am I in taking the
> position that this is a problem at SBC and not
> one that I can do anything about? Have I
> overlooked anything I should investigate? Thanks
> for any input.
>
>      ... doug

> P.S. - Here's the actual relevant lines from the
> logfile:
>
> 2005-10-06 16:47:45 1ENdaa-0001WV-FN <=
> d2jcell@??? H=web30506.mail.mud.yahoo.com
> [68.142.200.119] P=smtp S=1234
> id=20051006215031.27575.qmail@???
> T="Test 104"
> 2005-10-06 16:47:59 1ENdaa-0001WV-FN =>
> betsy-thompson@???
> <betsy@???> R=dnslookup
> T=remote_smtp S=1267 H=sbcmx5.prodigy.net
> [207.115.20.20]
> 2005-10-06 16:47:59 1ENdaa-0001WV-FN Completed

Completed means, roughly "everything that will ever happen to the message
with this ID on this server has happened."

The sequence above means that 207.115.20.20 claimed to receive the message.

You might want to enable the smtp_confirmation logging selector (see 48.15
in the spec (or at least in the 4.50 spec...not sure what its number was
earlier) "Reducing or increasing what is logged."

With many (not all) receiving servers, that will give you a message ID on
the receiving server (it gives you whatever their server told your server).
That can help the other end track the message.

--John