Re: [exim] An interesting problem (apparent duplicate delive…

Author: Ian FREISLICH
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] An interesting problem (apparent duplicate delivery)
Tom Kistner wrote:
> Ian FREISLICH wrote:
>
> > Our spamd servers are pretty heavily loaded, but the interesting
> > thing is the the messages are _identicle_. If the above scenario
> > was happening, I'd at least expect different Recieved: headers from
> > our server.
>
> I see. Then there's not much chance that Exim is the culprit.

Thanks to all for confirming my suspicions. Every user that has
complained of this problem has not reported subsequent occurences
after being told to leave a copy on the server for some days so
that we can witness the starngeness for ourselves.

FWIW, the POP3 server that I wrote (but not used in this environment
for lack of porting time) doesn't honour DELE requests when the
connection disappears without propper termination ie. a QUIT being
issued. That being what I believed to be the propper interpretation
of the RFC because the client may at any time during the transaction
issue a RSET. QUIT enters the commit state in the server.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich