Re: [exim] Exim rejects: syntactically invalid argument

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim rejects: syntactically invalid argument
On 9/29/05 1:35 PM, "Fred Viles" <fv+exim@???> wrote:

> On 29 Sep 2005 at 20:48, Chris Edwards wrote about
>     "Re: [exim] Exim rejects: syntactica":

> | Of course, the other reason for rejecting at RCPT time is the sender and
> | recipient addresses are in the logs, which can make hunting down problems
> | a little easier.
> |
> | That said, I don't recall a single instance of genuine mail impacted by
> | "our HELO" test.
>
> FWIW, I do spoofed HELO name rejections at RCPT time for yet another
> reason - to allow me to give a pass to authenticated connections. It
> is not unexpected for road-warrior machines to give HELO names in our
> domain.

Yet another convenience in having submissions from clients pass through a
different Exim than do transfers from the world's MTAs is that while in our
situation the former usually have bogus HELO names (thanks, Microsoft), the
latter shouldn't be allowed to (although I suspect we're still stuck
allowing _ [thanks, US and Washington State governments]).

--John