Re: [exim] options to obsoleted 'demime'?

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] options to obsoleted 'demime'?
On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 04:02:47PM -0400, Marc Sherman said:
> Fred Viles wrote:
> >
> >Some disconnect here, demime doesn't unpack *archives* at all. It
> >just decodes each mime message part into a separate file. So issues
> >clam may have with zip/rar/etc are unaffected by whether demime is
> >used.
>
> Yeah, what I originally said was:
>
> >Like the demime option, that statement about clamav is obsolete.
> >Clamav does a pretty good job at unpacking mime containers these
> >days.
>
> By "mime containers", I meant things like "Content-Type: multipart/*".
> Sorry if I wasn't using the right terminology there. At some point in
> the past, clamav was apparently not great at decoding multipart mime,
> and it was therefore recommended to have exim do the decoding. This
> recommendation is, as I understand it, no longer necessary.

My apologies - having just fought with a clamav unpacking problem, when
I saw 'containers', my brain just saw 'archives'. Sorry for steering
the conversation into a waste of bits.

Yes, clam's mime container handling has gotten significantly better in
the past several months. So, if exiscan's demime facility really
doesn't unpack the archives (why was I under the impression it did? -
clearly my brain is locked onto archive issues these days), then you are
correct.

Take care, and sorry for the confusion,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Never eat anything bigger than your     |
|  steve@???             | head.                                   |