Re: [exim] RE: Seg fault when using perl

Author: WJCarpenter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] RE: Seg fault when using perl
wjc> http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20021125/msg00182.html

wjc> OK, I found the above post because I suddenly decided I wanted to
wjc> use embedded perl, fired up exim, and got a segmentation fault.

pe> Hm, this is like a bit fishing in the dark, but I remember I had a
pe> similar problem once on cygwin after upgrading perl to a
pe> multi-threaded version:

pe> http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20031110/msg00201.html

pe> Later on, I learned I had to recompile my perl modules, that I had
pe> installed via cpan, as well. Thinking about it, this could have

[[Hrmm, those links above now point to entirely different messages, so
I guess something happened in those archives to fiddle with the
message numbers.]]

At the time I asked the original question, I got by with just making a
little source code change, so I didn't bother to take the suggestion
of recompiling my perl modules. Frankly, I did(n't) do that because I
suffered the mostly blissful mostly ignorance about perl, and I didn't
mind staying that way. During a recent upgrade to Exim 4, the source
code fiddling trick didn't work, so I buckled down and recompiled my
perl modules.

In case you are even more happy than I am and still don't know how to
"recompile your perl modules", one way to do it is via the CPAN shell.
You can find out about that here:

http://www.perl.com/doc/manual/html/lib/CPAN.html

In a nutshell, invoke CPAN's "interactive mode" thus:

perl -MCPAN -e shell

and give the command "recompile".

It completely cured what ailed me in Exim 4.
--
bill-exim@??? (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119