[exim] oh, the lack of pain!

Author: WJCarpenter
Subject: [exim] oh, the lack of pain!
I had a server that was working perfectly under Exim 3.36. Though
I've owned the Exim 4 book for quite a while, I put off doing the
upgrade on the principle of "ain't broke". Also, I was a little leary
of the cautions about the upgrade script being just a good starting
point but needing hand-tuning.

Well, I finally needed a feature that's in Exim 4 but not in Exim 3,
so I bit the bullet, downloaded the sources, built the thing, and ran
the configuration file conversion script. Except for some
authenticator entries which I wasn't using anyhow, the new configure
file works as-is, including my SpamAssassin filtering and homebrew
greylisting gunk.

I've been running Exim 4 in limited places for a shakedown, but in a
day or two I expect swap it in to replace my Exim 3 stuff.  This could
hardly have been more painless.  Sweet!
--
bill-exim@??? (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119