Re: [exim] RFC1413 callout

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
CC: christoph.kliemt
Subject: Re: [exim] RFC1413 callout
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Tony Finch wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 christoph.kliemt@??? wrote:
> >
> > On the other hand... it does not hurt. ;-)
>
> On the contrary, we turned it off because it is useless and because it
> caused complaints from users with personal firewalls.

But another bit of "we" <grin> has (have?) not turned it off. I still
like to think that it could be useful if someone on our host with many
user login accounts starting doing abusive things to another system.
Certain if some abuse was detected as originating from our multiuser
system I'd asked the offended party if they recorded any ident
information, which would make it easier for us to figure out who dun it.

But in practice, I have to admit that I cannot recall if this has ever
actually happened.

There was at least one ISP that was sending out ident information,
encrypted, that could let them identify which of their dial-up users was
responsible for external activity, and the time that it happened.
However, this was some time ago; there may well be other ways of getting
at appropriate information.