Re: [exim-dev] 4.53 Release candidate

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] 4.53 Release candidate
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 02:16:27PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> I would not like to put this in without making it conditional somehow.
> The obvious way is to use a new letter other than 'G'. Maybe 'H' for
> Haardt :-)

I felt like having to introduce a new option at first, too. But why
exactly? Just because it changes something?

A new letter means a new decision, additional documentation and code,
of course. I think that is only justified if someone says: "I need G
to work as it did before."

As a matter of fact, people use G because they want the exponential
backoff and nobody cares about the actual interval. Following the
discussion on the list, most even assumed that life just introduces enough
jitter to randomise the retry time. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't.
In a way, my patch changes Exim to work the way I thought things would
turn out in real life anyway. :-)

Michael