Re: [exim] Receive mail on interface without address

Author: Rory Campbell-Lange
To: Graeme Fowler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Receive mail on interface without address
Hi

On 09/09/05, Graeme Fowler (graeme@???) wrote:
> On Fri 09 Sep 2005 11:57:07 BST , Rory Campbell-Lange
> <rory@???> wrote:
> >Is there any way I can capture the data, in the form of mail messages?
> >I realise that this is an awfully naive question!
> <snip>
> >I don't have access to the main server at the moment.
>
> You can't do it by simply port mirroring because (as previously
> described) you're not participating in the TCP session. There are
> utilities out there which are based on libpcap which can process a
> stream of data on (say) a mirror port and extract email from the stream
> in real time, but you could argue that they're ethically questionable
> in most cases. And none of them are Exim.
>
> Technical issues aside, if you don't have access to the mail server at
> the moment, do you have permission and/or the legal right to be
> carrying out what amounts to a form of communication interception?
>
> Wouldn't it just be easier to speak to the mail server administrator?
> Or is there some legal technicality preventing you from doing so?

The scenario is that the office in question has a big complex
installation using an Oracle mail system (the details I have are fuzzy);
and they would like to keep a copy of all their ingoing and outgoing
mail. The intention was not to intrude on the actual conversations, just
archive mail.

Regards,
Rory

--