Re: [exim] Receive mail on interface without address

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Receive mail on interface without address
On Fri 09 Sep 2005 11:57:07 BST , Rory Campbell-Lange
<rory@???> wrote:
> Is there any way I can capture the data, in the form of mail messages?
> I realise that this is an awfully naive question!

<snip>
> I don't have access to the main server at the moment.

You can't do it by simply port mirroring because (as previously
described) you're not participating in the TCP session. There are
utilities out there which are based on libpcap which can process a
stream of data on (say) a mirror port and extract email from the stream
in real time, but you could argue that they're ethically questionable
in most cases. And none of them are Exim.

Technical issues aside, if you don't have access to the mail server at
the moment, do you have permission and/or the legal right to be
carrying out what amounts to a form of communication interception?

Wouldn't it just be easier to speak to the mail server administrator?
Or is there some legal technicality preventing you from doing so?

Graeme