Re: [exim] Bounce message not containing :fail: message

Author: Pieter Ennes
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Bounce message not containing :fail: message
Hello Fred,

Fred Viles wrote:

> Actually that's not relevant, since you are not doing a delivery. In

Yes, that seems to be correct...

> spec.txt, see section 22.6 (Special items in redirection lists),
> which includes:
>
>   * An attempt to deliver a particular address can be deferred or forced to
>     fail by redirection items of the form

>     :defer:
>     :fail:
>     In the case of an address that is being verified from an ACL or as the
>     subject of a VRFY command, the text is included in the SMTP error response
>     by default. The text is not included in the response to an EXPN command.

I doubt this is working, without including $acl_verify_message like Mark
suggested...

> | However, i'm seeing this in the bounce message:
> |
> |    sjoerd@???
> |      SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<sjoerd@???>:
> |      host angie.q-go.net [212.72.55.132]: 550 unknown user

> As you've already figured out, that message was generated by the
> offering MTA, not your exim.

Yes, the bounce message is generated by the upstream host, but the '550
unknown user' *is* coming from my host.

> Because the offering MTA is, how to put this, not as well written as
> exim. It is ignoring the text you sent, rather than passing it back
> to the sender where it may do some good.

> Your exim is already doing what you want, that's the best you can do.
> You are not responsible for all the lameware out there.

Well, actually the other host is also running Exim4 (and is under my
control) ;-) So this doesn't hold i'm afraid. I think the only way is to
include $acl_verify_message when denying the message.

However, that still does not change the fact that for this action, the
log message is different from the actual 550 response, which can be a
bit confusing imho.

Regards,
--
- Pieter