Re: [exim] connection timed out when connecting to remote ho…

Author: jonn ah
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] connection timed out when connecting to remote hosts using a non standard smtp port
Yes, I can telnet to it on port 25 and no, my ISP has not blocked port 25 outbound and yes, I can send mail to other domains like hotmail, etc.. however, I noticed this error in the main.log file

2005-09-09 12:23:57 1EDaQO-0002rL-I3 ** jon@??? R=dnslookup T=remote
_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection: host mx3.mail.yah
oo.com [4.79.181.12]: 553 Mail from 203.131.191.27 not allowed - VS99-IP1 deferr
ed - see help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-02.html (#5.7.1)

I've checked that help and it seems that yahoo thinks my mail server is an open-relay server, however, I've tested it against the various open-relay tests and my mail server is secure...

Jeremy Harris <jgh@???> wrote:
jonn ah wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed exim since xmail is having problems delivering mail to yahoo and hotmail, so the setup i want to do is still receive mail using xmail on port 25 but use exim to relay messages from xmail. (i.e. xmail forwards to exim for relay to other domains) so I changed exims default smtp port to port 2525 via the default_smtp_port option in exim's config file...so far so good, i can telnet localhost on port 2525 and exims answers, however when i test mail using exim I get error in main.log
>
> 2005-09-09 10:48:17 1EDYgj-0002K8-NK mx3.mail.yahoo.com [64.156.215.5]: Connecti
> on timed out
> 2005-09-09 10:48:23 1EDYw5-0002YE-1h <= info@??? H=localhost (mail.mydomain.com) [127.0.0.1] P=smtp S=198
>
> Any ideas?

Yahoo doesn't want to talk to you.

Can you telnet to it on port 25? Use that IP address explicitly.
If not, can you tcptraceroute to it on 25?

Most likely it's something at your end. Has your ISP blocked
25 outbound? Can you send mail anywhere else?

If not, what about other yahoo MXs ("dig yahoo.com mx" to find them).

- Jeremy